It’s a unique time in our country’s history and all Americans are challenged. High school students, especially seniors, as well as adult learners returning to school, are in an especially unique situation these days – navigating the waters of upcoming college admissions, testing, financial aid, all while schools have restricted access.
What happens now? Have the deadlines changed? Where is all this information located? How can I get online with schools and libraries closed?
While much is still uncertain, there ARE resources available to help you plan for college amidst the changing educational climate. LEAP Tampa Bay has gathered the following resources to help keep all students looking towards the future, as they try to make the most of the extra time while sheltered at home. This includes students who may not have even started the process yet.
- For links to the websites of all local colleges, universities and technical schools, click HERE. Each institution has the latest information for their students and prospective students.
- If you are already in the admission process and don’t know how to get your questions answered, click HERE for tips from an admissions professional.
- Click HERE for a central resource for information about changes in college admission events, deposit dates, and more as a result of the coronavirus outbreak – from schools all over the country and around the world.
- For financial aid application assistance, click HERE for a LEAP resource page or HERE for tips and tools for FAFSA forms.
- Information about financial aid from the Department of Education, including changes to current student loan requirements, can be found HERE.
- If you want to get a head start on next year’s college essays click HERE.
- Virtual volunteering opportunities exist for Bright Futures applicants and to include on other scholarship applications. To see the options, click HERE.
- For testing information:
- Florida Standards Assessments (FSA’s) are cancelled for the 2019-2020 school year. Read more information HERE.
- This may be a good time to think about preparing for the SAT and ACT. There is free SAT prep at Khan Academy Click HERE and for free ACT prep Click HERE.
- For information about the Advanced Placement (AP) tests, click HERE.
- Some cable companies are offering free Wi-Fi for 60 days for K-12 and college students. Click HERE to find offers in your area by “EveryoneOn.org” or learn more about local offers from Spectrum and Comcast.
- And our county school partners are working with students that need computer access, via laptop loans. This and other information is available:
- For information on navigating college during this transition period, as well as a number of resources to help during COVID-19, visit Florida Shines.
While sheltering at home for the foreseeable future seems daunting, much can be done to keep the momentum going on your college application plans. LEAP Tampa Bay is here to help keep the process moving and help things run smoother when everything gets back to normal.